Friday, May 23, 2014

Meet Featured Artist Sarah Love of SarahLovesLamps!

What is your business’ name?
SarahLovesLamps and I’m Sarah Love!

What sort of items do you make?
I make functional art in the form of custom lampshades. The lampshades are made with a special lampshade backing and then covered with fabric. There are so many great fabrics available now, that using fabric to decorate a lampshade can personalize and accentuate a lamp.  At my booth I sell lamp bases, shades, pendant lighting and vintage items. In addition, I also custom make lampshades to fit customer's lamp bases.

When and how did you learn your craft?
I started out experimenting with lamps when I would buy vintage lamp bases that came with broken, unusable shades. I loved the bases, but needed to improve the shades. Wanting to improve my shades led me to teach myself my craft by reading about lamps and lampshade design. Then I started making shades and I was hooked. It takes a lot of time and patience to make a lampshade, but I really enjoy the process.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
My inspiration comes from friends, family, and junk. I have many friends that are creative muses. Their work inspires me to be crafty and unique. My family, especially my father, instilled the thrill of searching for hidden treasures in others' junk.

How did you get started doing this as a business?
I have always loved lamps - hence the name SarahLovesLamps - but always had trouble finding the perfect shade. I would see a lamp base that I loved, but then the base would either be missing a shade or the shade would be in horrible condition. Buying a new shade was always such a headache because pre-made shades are astronomically expensive and/or boring. So, I set out to solve the problem myself by creating my own lampshades. I found the results so satisfying, that I wanted to share my art with others.

Do you have any advice for other crafters/artisans just starting out?
Going from creating and crafting to a business is a learning process. Every time I do something new, it takes a long time for me to figure out what I want to do, and how I want to go about it. It's frustrating, I get angry, I make mistakes, but I always try to remind myself that the next time I do the same thing, it will be easier. Try to be easy on yourself and remember that everything is a process.

Anything else you would like to share?
Lampshades can be both fun and functional. I love making lampshades and am thrilled every time someone appreciates my work.

SarahLovesLamps will be a featured artist at the First Friday Indie Market on June 6, 2014.  The market is located on the corner of MKL and Elm St in Downtown Greensboro, NC and is open from 4-9pm. 


Want to see more of SarahLovesLamps?  Find her on Facebook at:  https://www.facebook.com/sarahloveslamp


No comments:

Post a Comment