Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Meet Featured Artist Chad Perry of Creative Perspective Studios!


What is your business name?  Creative Perspective Studios and I am Chad Perry!

What sort of items do you make? I consider myself a surreal and abstract fine art photographer that also does portraits and weddings. All of the pieces you see in my booth are based on a photograph (or photographs) Ive taken.  Some of these photographs are places Ive gone and some are scenes Ive setup on my kitchen table.  I use random items from thrift stores, water, corn syrup, food coloring, spray paint, melted crayons, fire and anything else necessary to get the right look for the photograph.  I have a huge catalog of photographs to pull from.  My inspiration leads me to the catalog.  My pieces are created from one or more (sometimes 20 or more) photographs from my catalog.  Sometimes, I blend photos.  Sometimes, I just alter them.  I break all the rules in the digital realm. I use Photoshop much like a carpenter uses a hammer, as an important tool that can do many things.  

In general, I do not discuss the exact contents of the original photographs I use for my pieces because that disturbs what people can see in my work.  I say "let it be in your mind and that's what it is."  If you come to my booth and talk to me, youre likely to hear me say this at least once.

When and how did you learn your craft? Originally, I considered myself a musician, the type that gravitated towards more progressive and experimental music. I always had a love for the abstract and different. I began playing guitar when I was 15. My interest in photography began in my early 20s. I was in an experimental music band called SnagLoopDog.  From 1999-2002, we wrote and recorded 10 albums.  Much of the artwork for the album covers and inserts was based on my photography at the time.

Over the years, the creative outlet that was music became photography.  The vision and love for the abstract remained the same. That same vision became the artwork that you see in my booth.

The learning and growing never stops-Ive a huge and wonderful network of people that both inspire and encourage me. Its an amazing journey.

Where do you get your inspiration from? My inspiration comes from various places. I take quite a few pictures. Sometimes, inspiration hits as Im browsing through my catalog of photos. Many times, the photos that I combine to create my pieces were taken in vastly different places at different times.  The end product often takes on the feel of those individual photos. Many of my customers feel this too.

One of my biggest sources of inspiration recently was watching the Brooke Shaden:Fine Art Portraits 3 day workshop. Even if youre not a photographer, Brooke teaches inspiration exercises that are incredible.  I recommend that workshop to anyone seeking inspiration.

How did you get started doing this as a business? I decided to start selling my creations when I realized that I had 15-20 images that were really unique and told interesting stories. I wanted to share them. Tate Street Festival 2012 was my first event. All day long, I talked to people that saw even more amazing stories in my work than even I had imagined.  I was fueled and knew I was on the right track. I love what I do!!!


Do you have any advice for other crafters/artisans just starting out?   My advice to any crafters/artisans out there would be to get out there and go for it.  Youre going to make mistakes but people are going to help you.  Youre going to learn and people are going to help you with that, too.  Get out there and make those mistakes, learn and make those great friends. All successful vendors had to have their first event at some point and its almost certain that the first one (or even the first few) didnt go perfect. Before every finish line, theres a starting point. If you love what you do, people will see that, your passion will be seen and felt and the ball will be rolling before you know it. Youll be surprised at how many vendors are out there that are ready to help. 

Creative Perspective Studios will be a featured artist at the First Friday Indie Market on April 4, 2014.  The market is located on the corner of MKL and Elm St in Downtown Greensboro, NC and is open from 4-9pm. 

Want to see more of Creative Perspective Studios?  Check out Chad's website: http://www.creative-perspective-studios.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment