Monday, June 23, 2014

Meet Featured Artist Donna Anthony of Donna's Delights!

What is your business’ name?  Donna’s Delights and I'm Donna Anthony!

What sort of items do you make? I make handmade Soaps, Lotions, Balms, Scrubs, Deodorant, Laundry Soap and various knitted items.  Last year I started a line called Twisted Tees.  Hand knitted bags, rugs and such made from repurposed t-shirts.  I also reserve the right to learn something new that may end up in my booth.

Some of Donna's soaps displayed.
When and how did you learn your craft?   While on vacation at my parents, we learned how to make soap.  When that soap ran out my daughter kept asking when I was going to make some more.  After doing a lot of research online I finally started to make soap and immediately went into business.

Donna's Delights at Eclectic Calico
in Madison, NC



Where do you get your inspiration from?  I get a lot of my inspirations from the grocery store.  Many of my ideas come from the baking section.  I get my colors from nature so I am always looking at spices, roots, clays and such to come up with different colors. Nature has given us many gifts and I take it as a challenge to use them to make a great product that is healthy for our bodies. I also pay attention to my customers and if there is enough interest in something I will do my best to make it and have it available.

Handbag made from re-purposed
t-shirts and leather belt
.

Do you have any advice for other crafters/artisans just starting out?  I have met many people just starting out.  I do my best to pass on the lessons that I have learned over the years and do my best to lend a hand.  I also tell them to not get discouraged in the beginning.  It takes time to build up a business and use every show as a lesson.  After over 5 years I am still learning. Also to be prepared for anything.   

Want to see more of Donna's Delights?  Visit her website at: http://donnas-delights.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment