Monday, December 1, 2014

Meet Featured Artist Holly Barrett of Warm Wishes!

What is your business’ name?  Warm Wishes and I’m Holly Barrett!

What sort of items do you make? Scented Comfort Wraps that can be heated in the microwave or chilled in the freezer

When and how did you learn your craft? My mother-in-law, who has been a nurse for over 30 years, taught me how to make them about 10 years ago.

Where do you get your inspiration from? I love selecting fabrics, scents, and shapes that look, smell, and feel amazing!



How did you get started doing this as a business? After teaching middle school for 9 years, I became a stay at home mom.  I still wanted to help support my family, so I began trying to come up with an idea on how to do that.  I had been making my wraps for friends and family and decided to try branching out and selling them to other people.  Eventually, I built a steady customer base by vending at local craft fairs and festivals.  Next, I began selling my products on a website.  My business really took off, however, when I began wholesaling my products to gift shops.   

   

Do you have any advice for other crafters/artisans just starting out? Be patient!  It takes time to build a customer base and get the word out about your product.  Growing a small business can be very challenging and time consuming but totally worth it.  Find a mentor who is already a few years into their journey.  You'd be surprised how friendly and willing other business owners are to help out a newcomer.  Set goals and work toward them!  



Anything else you would like to share? My business was featured on WFMY News 2's Made in the Triad.  That was a huge accomplishment for me! Some of my major wholesale clients have been The Biltmore Estate in Asheville and Our State Magazine.  




Warm Wishes will be a featured artist at the First Friday Indie Market on December 5, 2014. The market is located on the corner of MLK and Elm St in Downtown Greensboro, NC and is open from 4-9 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment