Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Meet Featured Artist Laura Thacker of Carolina Quill!

What is your business’ name? My name is Laura Thacker and I am the owner/designer of Carolina Quill.

What sort of items do you make? I design stationery and gift items. My products range from greeting cards, art prints, coasters, mugs, recipe cards, and wrapping paper. I also do custom work, so if you are in need of invitations or personalized gifts, I’ve got you covered!

When and how did you learn your craft? I actually went to school for apparel design/retail merchandising so I have taken a variety of design classes – from architecture and fashion to fibers and typography.

Where do you get your inspiration from? A lot of my cards come from things my husband and I say to each other. I also like taking classic greeting card phrases and giving them a twist or turning them into a unique pun.


How did you get started doing this as a business? I’ve always loved design and have been making my own greeting cards for as long as I can remember. I have been doing custom invitation work for a few years, but when my son was born earlier this year, I decided to quit my day job so I could stay home with him while also focusing more on Carolina Quill. Hands down, it was the best decision I ever made!



Do you have any advice for other crafters/artisans just starting out? Don’t feel like you have to be all things to all customers. Find your niche and focus on being the best in that area. And be nice to people!



Anything else you would like to share? For behind the scenes photos, you can follow me on Instagram (@CarolinaQuill)!



Carolina Quill will be a featured artist at the First Friday Indie Market on December 5, 2014. The market is located on the corner of MLK and Elm St in Downtown Greensboro, NC and is open from 4-9 pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment